Hard or Soft Tissue Dental Procedures Benefit from Laser Dentistry
Dental lasers are devised specifically for use in oral surgery and dentistry. The Food And Drug Administration initially approved the use of lasers in the United States in the early 90s while approving their use on hard tissue like teeth or bone of the mandible in 1996.
Laser dentistry services near Chino CA offer comfortable treatment options for many dental procedures involving hard or soft tissue when compared to drills and other non-laser tools. Laser dentistry can be used for a variety of procedures including:
- Treating tooth decay.
- Taking hypersensitivity.
- Treating gum disease.
- Whitening teeth.
Lasers can make dental procedures efficient, cost-effective, and comfortable. The FDA has approved the use of lasers as treatment options for many dental conditions.
Performing Laser Treatments
Hard tissue and soft tissue procedures are the two main recipients of laser dentistry. Soft tissue refers to the gums while hard tissue indicates treatments of the teeth. Some of the most performed hard tissue procedures include the following:
- Preparing the tooth for dental fillings. When laser dentistry in Chino, CA prepares the tooth for dental fillings they do not use traditional drills or local anesthesia. Bacteria in a cavity can be killed by lasers which can help in the long term health of the tooth.
- Detecting cavities. Detecting cavities early becomes easier with lasers to find evidence of tooth decay.
- Managing tooth sensitivity. Teeth that are sensitive to heat and cold can receive treatment with lasers that conceal the tubules on the tooth’s root.
Soft tissue procedures performed by using lasers include:
- Treating the attachment of tongue frenulum. People with a thick or tight frenulum will find it beneficial to undergo a laser frenectomy. This treatment is particularly helpful for children that have a restricted frenulum which causes them to be tongue-tied, have a speech impediment, and trouble with breast-feeding.
- Lengthening the crown. This procedure is used to reshape the gum tissue and bone to provide a healthier tooth structure which proves helpful when placing restorations on the teeth.
- Treating a gummy smile. Lasers help reshape gum tissue associated with a gummy smile whereby the length of the gums covers much of the tooth.
- Eliminating soft tissue folds. Lasers are helpful to remove soft tissue folds from badly fitting dentures without pain or stitches.
What Are the Costs Of Laser Treatments?
The costs of laser treatments can vary depending on the procedure being conducted and the laser equipment in possession with the dentist. When compared to the non-laser treatments laser industry is inexpensive because the treatments can be completed in fewer sessions. Furthermore, dental insurance providers usually determine the costs of reimbursement on the treatment itself and not on the method used by the dentist. Therefore you are likely to be compensated similarly as any other drilling or non-laser procedures. However, it would prove beneficial if you made inquiries beforehand to have accurate information in your possession.
Types of Lasers Used by Dentists
Professionals in dentistry are using hard tissue or soft tissue lasers depending on the type of procedure they are conducting. If the treatment requires the use of both types of lasers some professionals are also using them accordingly. When the need to cut through tooth structure is observed dentists are using hard tissue lasers. The teeth absorb the wavelengths through a combination of water and minerals found on them. These lasers are specifically used to prepare or shape teeth for composite bonding, for repairing dental fillings that have worn down or to remove some structure of the tooth.
Benefits of Laser Dentistry Over Traditional Methods
- Laser dentistry decreases the need for stitches with soft tissue lasers.
- Minimized bleeding is experienced by patients when soft tissues are treated because the laser promotes blood clotting.
- The use of anesthesia is eliminated in some procedures.
- The wounds heal faster making it possible for tissue to regenerate.
- The potential for bacterial infections is lower because the area concerned is sterilized by the laser.
- The surrounding tissues will not suffer damages during the procedure.
When people consider laser dentistry for any procedure they need to contact laser dentistry services near Chino, CA because the dentists are qualified to provide these treatments. Recommendations can also be sought from friends or insurance providers who may have had positive experiences with laser dentistry. Researching for laser dentistry providers can also prove beneficial to determine whether a particular dentist can provide proper laser treatment or not.