12 Signs You Need to See a Dentist
There are many reasons that you can see a dentist, including for regular 6-month checkups, however, sometimes there are signs that you need to see your dentist ASAP. Here are a few of those clues that if you experience these symptoms you should see your dentist ASAP:
- You have pain. You feel pain or severe swelling in/around your face, neck, or mouth area see your dentist immediately.
- Your gums are acting up. If you have red, inflamed, painful gums and they are puffy and bleed when you brush or floss and if you have a history of gum disease it’s time to have the dentist take a look at it.
- Your try to hide your smile. Whether you’re self-conscious about missing a tooth or hoping for a brighter smile then maybe seeing the dentist to get some pointers on how to make that happen is a good idea!
- You’ve had work done. If you have had past dental work done, making sure the job that was done is holding up is vital to not ending up to having more work done again if something goes wrong in the future.
- You have ongoing medical issues. Make your medical condition that can affect your oral health part of the dental problems a priority. Include your dentist as a person on your medical team so they know of any other treatment you are undergoing.
- You’re Pregnant: It’s safe to go to the dentist while you are pregnant, especially in your first two trimesters. Ensure you are getting your regular checkups, and even more so if you are having gestational diabetes (diabetes while pregnant).
- You’re Having Trouble Eating: If you are having trouble chewing or swallowing foods you may have something wrong that needs to be fixed. Same is true when you are experiencing pain while chewing or find yourself just gravitating towards softer foods to avoid pain.
- You Have Dry Mouth: If you are seeming to drink nonstop but can’t satisfy that dry feeling in your mouth you may be having a side-effect from medications you are on, which can also spell dental problems if left untreated.
- You Use Any Kind of Tobacco: If you chew tobacco or smoke cigarettes regular dental care is even more important as tobacco can cause tooth decay and loss.
- You’re Having Jaw Pain: If your jaw is constantly in pain you may be grinding your teeth or clenching them while you sleep at night and not even know it. You may be wearing your teeth to nubs without even knowing it!
- You Have Spots & Sores Appear in Your Mouth: If you are feeling new, funky spots on your tongue or in your mouth chances are you might have a fungus or a canker sore or cold sore or even a case of candidiasis developing. While many canker sores will heal themselves funguses or cold sores and candidiasis cases may need special treatment from your dentist. If you are having braces or other dental pieces put in and they are rubbing on your mouth you may have problems with infections if the rubbing is persistent and continues, or the area will just get rawer and more painful.
- It’s Time for a Checkup: Even if you have no symptoms you should be visiting your dentist every 6 months anyways to make sure everything is good and that no problems are beginning. Problems are easier to catch in the beginning, and much less costly in many cases, too!
If you have any questions or would like to learn more about us visit us here
or call us 909-465-1016. The Ramona Dentistry Team
“Where Family Comes First”